Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Winter Queen oil painting

Winter Queen

Just wanted to play and explore a different palette.
White, black, blue and yellow.
What stared off as a challenge on DPW, ended up being 3 paintings. I just kept on adding colors to the limited palette above.
Winter Queen oil painting, oil on canvas panel, 5 x 7 inches
Thought process with Winter Queen: I wanted to do a mermaid series while keeping the paintings realistic. So I came up with an eye sketch which had potential. I was considering a green skin tone, then thinking back to the challenge, limited palette and something I have not done before, another challenge. As the painting developed in shades of cold blue, I liked the idea of just plain cold blue shade for the face. However the blues are so vibrant that just having blue eyes, would not make any impact. So I mixed blue and yellow and got this pretty teal, green shades. Then it stuck me, if winter had a face this would be it. Very cold (face) but with a promise of spring (green eyes). Then I added the snowy drift white hair and a twinkle of a snowflake.

I have 2 more paintings drying, to be posted very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment